Just Another Blog

Monday, June 09, 2008

Meet The Tudor's

Over the weekend I happened to watch The Other Boleyn Girl. It was an interesting movie, the main thing which attracted me were the pretty ol-fashioned clothes and all the royal garb. But of course eventually I figured out that the movie was indeed, a true story, maybe a little bit of fiction thrown around, about King Henry VIII and his love affairs with the Boleyn Sisters.

This lead to a chain of thoughts, which made me realize that I have no idea about the English Royalty and the general history related to that. I read up a little about the novel based on which the movie was made. How Henry came to power, how he ran the country, how he married like six times, established the Church of England, merged England and Wales and how he died. After his death things in England were in quite a sorry state.

Until eventually one of his daughters (for the lack of a male heir) became the Queen. After googling a bit about Queen Elizabeth I, I must admit, I have become a bit of a fan, and now I am dying to know more about her. Her rein in England is called the Golden Age. She never married, and independently ruled her state for many years.

Theres so much more about her that I want to find out. For starters I plan to watch Elizabeth the movie(by our very own Shekhar Kapur) and then maybe move on to Philippa Gregory's Virgin Queen.

Will keep you all posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home